City of Winchester UK
Home Page Home Page

THE CATHEDRAL CLOSE

15th Century Prior's Gate. Main entrance to The Close. Plain four-centred arch with original traceried doors. Coat of arms aver arch. Castellated parapet.

The main entrance to the Close is the 15th Century Prior’s Gate. This has a plain four-centred arch and the original traceried doors. The parapet is castellated, and there is a coat of arms over the arch. Cheyney Court, also 15th Century, was once the Bishops Court House. This is probably  the most photographed domestic building in Winchester. The ground floor is constructed of stone with an oversailing three gabled timber frame and plaster infill above. The Close wall forms part of the back of the house. The 15th Century Porter's Lodge is similar to Cheyney Court and forms a 2-storey projecting gabled part of the Cheyney Court block.

15th/16th Century Cheyney Court. Adjoining south entrance gate to Close. 2 and 3 storeys. Stone ground floor walls, with overselling timber-frame and plaster infill above. 3 gabled front to Close. Old tile roof. Close wall forms part of back of house. 15th Century Prior's Gate. Main entrance to The Close. Plain four-centred arch with original traceried doors. Coat of arms aver arch. Castellated parapet.     15th Century Porter's Lodge. Similar to Cheyney Court and forming a 2-storey projecting gabled part of the Cheyney Court block.

 The Wisteria, which can be seen between the Lodge and the Priory Gate, recently covered most of the Gate and the Lodge and made a great show in the summer.

The Pilgrims Hall (c.1308) is all that remains of a longer Medieval building, once the priory guest house. It has a hammer beam roof, reputedly the earliest known example. The ends of the beams are decorated with various carved heads. It has an inserted floor and modern windows and entrance. The roof is half-hipped with clay tiles. The building is open to the public.

13th/14th Century Pilgrims' Hall. Early hammer-beam roof. Inserted floor, modern windows and entrance. Important 3-bay roof with reputedly the earliest hammer- beam known. Half-hipped tile roof. 13th/14th Century Pilgrims' Hall. Early hammer-beam roof. Inserted floor, modern windows and entrance. Important 3-bay roof with reputedly the earliest hammer- beam known. Half-hipped tile roof.

No. 9  'Church House'  is a 17 th Century  3-storey, three-gabled stone building with an old tile roof. There is an 8-light mullioned and transomed window in each gable. The gothic porch was added circa 1840. Internally it has a  Georgian staircase. The building is used as Diocesan offices.
All that remains of the late 11th Century Chapter House, demolished  c. 1850, is a series of Gothic arches between Dean Garniers Garden and the South Transept. The grass marks the site of the Chapter House.

No. 9. 'Church House' -17 th Century  3-storey. Three-gabled stone building. Old tile roof. 8-light mullioned and transomed window in each gable. Gothic porch added circa 1840. Good chimneys. Georgian staircase.
Winchester Cathedral web site

Winchester Cathedral Web Site

View across the site of the late 11th Century Chapter House, demolished  c. 1850
South Transept - South West looking across the site of the cloisters The Deanery, which incorporates the 13th Century porch to the Priors House and Hall

 Only a few parts of the domestic buildings of St Swithuns Priory remain. The Chapter House entrance (above). The 13th Century Porch to the Priors House and the Priors Hall were incorporated into the present day Deanery, which was largely rebuilt in the 17th Century.

South Transept - view through the flying buttresses.
Diocesan Offices - 'Church House' and the Education Centre

An experienced Teacher is available at the Education Centre to help plan your schools visit to the Cathedral. This will ensure that children of all ages and abilities get the maximum benefit from their time at the Cathedral.

view across the green toward the Pilgrim's School

Left is the view across the green to The Pilgrim’s School.
Above is the view along the South Transept wall looking through the flying buttresses, toward the Western end of the Cathedral, and the Visitors Centre.

Main Site Map

Site Map.

TOP of PAGE

UP one Level.

Up One.

Home Page.

Home.

Main Site Map

Site Map.

©Copyright 1990 Group-Web Holdings  ©

Group-Web Logo

P.O. Box 33, Winchester, SO23 0YX, UK.