City of Winchester UK
Section Index Page City of Winchester UK

THE LIBRARY (CORN EXCHANGE)

The Corn Exchange in Jewry Street, built in 1838 at a cost of 4000,  was a trading forum for most of the century. At the turn of the century it went into decline and was used at various times as a dining hall, a roller skating rink, and a sports hall. From 1915 to 1917 it was used as a theatre, and then a cinema. The cinema  also had a restaurant, tea lounge and a resident orchestra. This closed in 1922 and the building was again used as a dance hall, and then again reverted to a cinema. In 1936 the City Council, owners of the building since 1913, spent 3,100 to move the Public Library here from the Guildhall extension, where it remains to the present day.

19th Century - The Public Library. Completed 1838. Street front of 1 storey. Central projecting portico, with four Tuscan stone columns on flight of stone steps. Symmetrical wings and angle pavilions of yellow stock bricks on stone plinth. Moulded stone string course at springing of window arches, large rusticated stone quoins, wide flat eaves cornice. Pediment over central portico. Square bell turret above, with brick base, stone string course, corner Doric stone pilasters and wide eaves cornice. Wooden louvres each side. Slate roofs. Formerly a corn exchange. Restored over the years. Architect: Owen Brown Carter.   SU 480 297
Jewry Street 2001

Not many changes in a hundred years. Or are there? 
No prizes, but see if you can spot them.

The Corn Exchange in Jewry St with the Market Hotel, now the Theatre Royal, in the distance. Photo  circa 1900 by Mr  W.T. Green

There is a car park to the rear of the Public Library under which is a large network of tunnels. These were built to serve as public air raid shelters during WW2, and were furnished with bunks and various essentials for a reasonably protracted stay. Some of these artefacts remain to this day, albeit in a somewhat decayed condition. The tunnels were accessed by means of steps that can clearly be seen to the LHS of the building in the colour photo. These now serve as access to the Ladies Public Convenience, in the basement of the Library.

Section Map

Section Map

icon02
Historic Winchester index page City of Winchester UK index

History  Index

Main site

Section Map

Section Map

©Copyright Group-Web Holdings 1998 ©

GoTo Group-Web Holdings

Last Updated: